LESSONS CATERED TO YOU
We feel that music education should not a one size fits all approach, hence we offer a range of programs with teachers who each have their own, researched and reputable styles of teaching based on years of experience. From babies to adults, absolute beginners to advanced learners, we are here to support you and your goals in music education with student based learning!
At Player 1, our aim is to foster the love of music and ignite creativity in children and adults adults by teaching you how to play the piano and read music... Not to make learning music a chore that no one looks forward to, or only those with a special talent can achieve.
There's more to music education than your weekly lessons. In 2020 we'll be introducing a new ensemble program where students will learn to play songs with fellow students at the same level on another instrument. At the end of each year Player 1 provides a performance platform at our Annual End of Year Recital Concert in Hyde Park. The concert gives each student the chance to show family members and friends how hard they have worked through the year; fostering pride and confidence in their abilities.
There are so many reasons why the piano is the most popular instrument to start your music education. We've outlined the top five based on our experience:
1. Producing a sound on the piano gets the most immediate results especially for small children, you simply touch a key and the note sounds - no tone training required. With other instruments you will spend longer perfecting technique to make a sound. Not so with the piano, what you hit is what you get!
2. We can see the building blocks of music due to the way a piano is laid out. The student can easily see the relationships between pitches in both melodies and chords and the way they look written out on the staff. Also, because the piano is so simple to play, a student can focus on learning to read music rather than struggling with difficult technique.
3. You get a sense of pitch as a well tuned piano will always play the right key! The student does not need to struggle with technique and exact finger placement while trying to produce the right key. Its pure, clear, sort of neutral tone helps us focus right in on the musical notes. This makes it perfect for composing music, analysing music, figuring out harmonies, and more.
4. The piano has a huge range of notes and a wide pitch range from super low bass notes to very high notes and everything in between.
5. It is a great stepping stone to other instruments! It’s one of the best ways to understand some pretty major parts of music theory. Students bring their sense of pitch and their understanding of the basic concepts to their study of a new instrument.
Teacher - Kirsten Symczycz
Group or Individual Lessons
The Sykes Piano Program is divided into levels which take an average of 10 weeks to complete. Each level includes every aspect of the program:
2. Music Reading
5. Music Appreciation
The program has been designed to suit everyone from the serious musician to the musician who just wants to learn for fun, for beginners and the advanced musicians and for the young and the young at heart!
Teacher - Adele Robertson
Group or Individual Lessons
PIANO & MUSIC THEORY GROUPS FOR ALL AGES, INCLUDING ADULTS!
Adele is currently offering a Piano and Music Theory Program (Small Groups) for ages 3-4yrs on Wednesdays 2-3pm. Email Amanda to book.
Simply Music is a world leader and pioneer of playing based music education which has students learning to play from their first lesson.
Simply Music expands on Shin'ichi Suzuki’s (founder of the Suzuki Method) claim that any child can learn music. Just as children are not taught how to read and write before they learn to speak, with the Simply Music Method you don’t have to know to read music in order to make it. Simply Music Piano has you playing real recognisable songs from the very first lessons.
The program was developed by Australian music-educator Neil Moore, the Founder of Simply Music. The concept was born from teaching a blind man how to play the piano. You can read more about how this method was developed here.
The primary goal is to develop the ability to achieve four basic goals with all piano students:
Experience music as a natural self-expression
Play a broad repertoire of great-sounding music
Have a highly positive, self-affirming experience
Develop the ability to self-generate and progress on their own.
It is popular with both kids and adult beginners as it gives the student confidence in playing and exploring the piano. Lessons are offered in small groups or on an individual basis.
Teacher - David Kong
With David as your music teacher you will learn music theory on an electric keyboard, using apps and technology:
Learn the building blocks of music: melody, harmony, rhythm
Notes, intervals, keys & scales, chords, arpeggios
Chord progressions, voicings, bass lines
Rhythm, riffs, melodies
Arrangement and songwriting
Analyse the chords of your favourite songs
Get 1-on-1 guidance to improve your songs
Suitable for children and adults, at any skill level
David has some recommendations recourses for beginners that he will be using during your lessons:
For sight reading:
Popular way to learn songs on Youtube:
Comprehensive music theory book for laptop producers/beatmakers: Music Theory for Computer Musicians Bk/Cd
QUALITY TEACHERS WHO CARE
All Player 1 Teachers possess a Working with Children Check, and have a passion for music and teaching. We are a family friendly and all ages music school; our main aim is to foster an enjoyment for learning music. Whether you are an absolute beginner or you wish to improve on your skills, we can work with you to achieve your goals, whatever they may be!
To be placed with the right piano teacher for you or your child, click here we will contact you to discuss your goals in piano and arrange a free trial lesson.
Lessons are offered Mondays through Saturdays in 30 minute or 45 minute sessions. Group sessions or individual lessons are offered.